Friday, June 29, 2007

Working in 'The Star' as a journalist...




I just finished my attachment in 'The Star' yesterday.

On the whole, I look back at the experience fondly. I learnt many new things, met many new people.
I got to go places that I've never been to before, such as the Bidayuh settlement, and places I would never dream of going, eg 5-star hotels. I met VIPs- I met the chief minister of Sarawak, Datuk Seri Haji AbdulTaib Mahmud and his deputy, Dr. George Chan.
I was served free refreshments all the time, and even a free meal in a hotel restaurant once.
Countless hours spent sitting in front of the computer, happily hitting away at the keyboard. (yes, I love typing, mind you).

And of course, a couple of the articles I wrote, which actually came out in the papers, with my name bylined!!

My 'boss' and colleagues were great. Jack Wong, the chief editor of 'The Star', who happened to be my mum's good friend is a very nice guy. He always buys me lunch :P Sharon is great too- such a nice, sweet and gentle lady. She ended up inviting me to her Cell Group last night ( which consisted of young couples with their young children) and to church tomorrow.

At the end of the day, what I would take back with me is the great experience of being a temporary 'reporter'. The memories. The places I'd been to. The people I met. The questions that people posed to me......actually it's always the same question over and over again......'What is a medical student doing here?!'

I really enjoyed this experience, and am glad that I chose this elective.

Me and Sharon
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Me and Apai, the photographer
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I tried to take a good picture of Sarawak's Chief Minister- Taib Mahmud, but ended up with a blurry pic instead. The reporters swarming around him like a group of bees attracted to honey didn't help.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Two articles of mine published in the newspaper.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

LX said...

That's fun fun fun!! Some more you get to attend CG and church. Which church is your friend Sharon from? I guess you really want to be a journalist? Something I used to think was my dream too, but I just don't think I can cope. Maybe fashion mag, can lah! HAhahha

AiLing said...

Lynnx01:- Sharon goes to the SIB church. You know where it is? I ended up following my neighbour to 'Blessed Trinity church instead yesterday.

Being a journalist is only something I started thinking of over the past few years, after I discovered my love for expressing myself in words and typing and my hatred for studying. Hahah.

But of course I don't get alot of encouragement for pursuing journalism, so I'll stick to medicine.

porknuggets said...

i saw ur name in the newspaper! dat is so cool la

AiLing said...

:0 Cool! :D

Didn't think that you guys would see it!