Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Battling weight....

Yeap, the title explains it all.

Ever since I was little, I've been engaged in battles with my weight. You see, I used to be a skinny little toddler. I just simply despised eating. It was to the extent that my mum and aunt had to bribe me to eat my dinner... and had to instill in me fear of the punishment I would receive from my uncle if I didn't finish my meal. So I ended up gobbling my food and throwing it all back up anyways.
When I was about 5 years of age, I was diagnosed with tonsilitis, and had to undergo an operation to remove my tonsils.Ever since I recovered and regained my appetite, I regained back my weight as well. Within a year, I transformed from skinny to plump.
And I remained on the plump side until.....now.Fair enough, I wasn't an active child. I preferred to stay at home and read books or watch TV or study instead of going out to play sports with other kids. On Saturday evenings, I very much preferred going out shopping with family instead of going swimming lessons.An attack of hyperthyroidism when I was 14 caused me to lose a lot of weight to the extent that I was unhealthy.Of course I gained back all the weight.But the frustrating thing is that lately, even though I have tried cutting down on my food, eating less during meals and exercising everyday, I simply can't lose any weight. In fact, I keep on gaining weight.
Proof- the pairs of jeans which I used to be able to wear....I simply can't fit into them anymore:( Even more accurate proof- the weighing scale in the bathroom. 50-52 kg: 2 kg- that's quite a lot of weight, isn't it?Maybe it's because of the tyroxine tablets that I'm taking. Maybe it's in my genes- my relatives all have the tendency to gain weight rapidly.
Sometimes I admit that I feel a twinge of jealously when I look at Tze Wei and Tze Chien. They can afford to gobble down two plates of rice permeal and still look as slim and slender as ever.

The only conclusion I can come to is that they have extremely high metabolic rates.But I wouldn't complain. Nothing in life is perfect. You gain some, you lose some. I'm sure they also admire the fact that I never have to worry about money while they have to work so hard for everything all their lives.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I managed to meet up with my primary and secondary school classmates on Wednesday night. Had I not been held up at my mum's shop last week, I wouldn't have met them. I totally lost contact with all of them until my chance encounter with several of them at the Central Market last week. I only gave my number to Colin then.
But on Wednesday, Colin SMSed me, inviting me to 'Bing' where some of them are meeting up.It was great to meet up with old friends, with childhood friends. Haven't seen them for more than 5 years.Most of them are working now- Reuben as a lawyer in his father's firm, Chung Siang in business management, now undertaking an accounting degree, Ing Ing just graduated from law, Serena is working as a nutritionist.Those doing medicine are in their final year now.And here I am, with still 4 more years of education to go.A couple of them, in fact, are either engaged or married. Wow. An I'm still single with no hint of ever getting attached.I feel so young and immature, hahah.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am bttling weight too! Geram-ness... hmph!

AiLing said...

*high five

Zzzyun said...

im battling weight too.

really need to lose the weight i put on when i was too stressed out. lol.

AiLing said...

you- battling weight? Doesn't look like it leh :p

Zzzyun said...

haha compliment. i used to look okay. but i've put quite a lot of weight since i started pigging out due to stress and late nite mamak suppers.

so yeah, need to lose those extra fats! yikes~!