Saturday, June 16, 2007

Being thankful.....



Right......this is the first time that I'm blogging without knowing what I actually want to write about.
This week has been a rather busy but rewarding week. Besides working in 'The Star' for my electives, I got to learn many things at my mum's shop every evening. My mum actually bought me an entire BP set so that I can practice taking blood pressure on her staff. :o And I learnt how to perform intramuscular injections as well.

I should be thankful for a lot of things. For leading such a comfortable life all this while, for having such a wonderful mother who loves me so much, for finally being able to experience a father's love, though in the most unconventional way possible.....for never having to worry about money, for always being able to have anything that I want.

Instead, I am always complaining about trivial stuff, about teeny weeny stuff. (Ehem...before you retort,....gender inequality isn't exactly what I would call trivial stuff, you know ;) I'm talking about other things. ) I think I should really change this attitude of mine.

And I'm thankful for being reminded on Monday that I should show a cheerful demeanor and personality whereever I go , instead of a putting on a sullen and stressed look all the time.

People can change, so can I.

I am thankful to God for letting me pass the exams and letting me have this golden opportunity of working in 'The Star' as a journalist, something which I have always wanted to do. Well, more like something I wanted to do since a couple of years ago. When I was younger, I was brainwashed into thinking that being a doctor is the most prestigious job ever.

And as I discovered, being a journalist certainly isn't one of the most stressful jobs. You just attend a function, go back to write a couple of news reports, and call it a day. And you get to meet VIPs and go places.

The only drawback of working as a journalist is when you make a small mistake in your report, but get bombarded by all parties due to your supposedly small mistake. You have to be extra careful about what you're writing about!

I did send in a couple of reports to the editor, but because 'The Star' is a national paper, with limited space to cover all 14 states, chances are that it wouldn't be published. Even if they do get published, it would be in the Metro South & East section, without my name on it. But I don't mind, really. All I want is just the experience of being a temporary reporter/journalist. And then I'll re-evaluate at the end of my stint whether I'll still harbor this dream of becoming a journalist.

You know, when I met all these young reporters working for rival newspapers, they were all asking me the same question.......'What on earth is a medical student doing here? Shouldn't you be working in the hospital or something?' Hahahah.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I received the entire transcript of my exam results in the mail yesterday. Wasn't really impressed as expected, but I kept reminding myself that the most important thing is that....I passed!!

Above, I've included above a couple of photos which I took yesterday. Notice the new cross pendant necklace which I'm wearing!


p.s. Celebrating Father's Day today.

p.p.s Good luck to the Semester 4s who sat for their repro exam today. Good luck to the Semester 5s who are sitting for their EOS soon ( I don't know when). Good luck to the Semester 1s who are sitting for their very first summative assessment this month.

p.p.p.s Good luck to the Semester 3s for the EOS preparations and for the actual battle itself. And to my batchmates, happy holidays......and for those of you who are doing resits.....so far I've yet to know anybody who are resittting the exams.....all the best!!

p.p.p.p.s Anybody watching 'Lost?'

2 comments:

LX said...

Ailing!! Great to hear about your journalist job and that you're enjoying it. Some more, can meet new people from all walks of life. How fun! Continue to submit in your articles, ya? If they publish it, must scan in here for us to see!! :D

How did you celebrate Father's Day? Me curious! Hehe

AiLing said...

Lynnx01- Hehe, sure!! ;) Yeap, I'm enjoying my elective aka attachment at 'The Star' right now. Visited a Bidayuh village today- gonna post about it (complete with pictures and everyting) tonight or tomorrow.

I'll try to continue sending in articles, dunno whether any of them will end up getting published or not though. But I don't mind- I'm just there for the experience.

Well, we just went to a restaurant to have a Father's Day dinner and then Uncle David cut a chocolate/tiraimisu cake.