Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Anaemia?

So this week marks the start of a brand new system for us sem 3s- the Hematology system. For the next 4 weeks or so, we would be learning everything about our blood system.

As I read the lecture notes and do PBL, something is bugging my mind.

Read:

Symptoms of anaemia:

tiredness,
lethargy,
feeling faint, and
breathlessness.
Poor concentration
Pallor


Tiredness and lethargy? Check. I feel tired and lethargic all the time, especially when I exercise.
Feeling faint? Yes. Particularly after exercise.
Breathlessness? Same.
Poor concentration? Check
Pallor? That is only for serious cases right? But then again, more than once, people have commented that I look pale.

Hmmm...... How about the couple of times , especially recently, when I go to the nearby park for a jog, and end up feeling to tired and weak to even walk back to vista? How about coming back from a casual basketball practice yesterday feeling faint by the time I reached home? How about not being able to donate blood each time I tried to- because tests indicate that my serum iron levels are low? Is there any explanation for that? Not enough sleep? Not bothering to take my vitamins?

Anaemia is the condition whereby our body fails to produce enough red blood cells and haemoglobin in our circulation. As a result inadequate oxygen supply is carried throughout the body, resulting in the above mentioned symptoms.

Could I be suffering from anaemia? If yes, which type might it me? Iron deficiency anaemia? Pernicious anaemia? Megaloblastic anaemia? I'd better get a blood test done.

And in the meantime, I'll continue doing my PBL.

eta: gosh!! Today's PBL was soo draining! Didn't help that the faci has to interrupt every single point we make and ask us zillions of questions- all which I do not know the answer to.

7 comments:

LX said...

Ailing, looks like it's another medical students' syndrome.. but well, I think you should go for a check up to rule out anaemia. Or we can do a peripheral blood smear for you! :D

Anonymous said...

haha, looks like your friend beat me to it! I was just going to say that yes, if it will put your mind at ease, do go and get a blood test. But from my experience, many college students have the same symptoms - too many late nights from combination of social events and studying leads to lethargy, being busy leads to lack of exercise resulting in weakness and shortness of breath when you exercise (it's called deconditioning), and staying indoors to study instead of hanging out in the sun will explain the pallor :) Bibi

Anonymous said...

by the way, about Leslie, I really respected her strength in character to stick to her convictions and walk out of the ceremony, eventhough she knew that it would mean automatically putting a target on herself. Burning incense and kneeling to big Buddha statue really IS worship in my book. In fact, I struggled with the same thing the first year I accepted God into my life because my family does that ancesteral worship thing. I went along with it then, but no longer - now I will take a stand! People said she was disrespectful - I disagree, she left quietly instead of making a scene like Courtney. Some said she was stupid, should have just pretended to go along but pray to Jesus in her mind - but that's deceptive and setting a bad example to other Christians watching her on TV. And we are called to never be a stumbling block to others. But that's just how it is, isn't it? Christians are misunderstood, and often people have double standards, ie expect us all to be saintly because we say we are Christians! But we are called not to conform to the world, but instead by transformed by the renewing of our minds, and kudos to Leslie for standing up to her beliefs. So all in all, I quite like her so far. 2 negatives about her so far - 1) why can't she pray without her Bible? Shouldn't she have remembered some key verses to sustain her through difficulty? 2) She shouldn't have given the Mormon guy that clue about the HII...not so soon anyway! Bibi

AiLing said...

Lynnx01:- Haha, medical student's syndrome eh? ;) Never heard of that before. But yeah, there's no harm in just going for a routine check up. I also don't think it's anything serious.

Bibi:- hi jie- will email you this weekend :) Well, your explanations do make sense, hehe ;) And thanks for introducing a new meaning of the word 'deconditioning'. Before that, all I know was in the labs where you 'decondition' a rat from a particular stimuli. :P

AiLing said...

Jie, check ur email :) Just wrote to you (sorry for the delay!) telling about my stand about the Leslie situation.

For the rest, we're just discussing about Survivor: China and how devout Christian Leslie ( one of the contestants) decided to walk out of a Buddhist welcoming ceremony.

lynn-w said...

hey!
well, each time i study a new disease, i feel myself having it too! aha.....it just makes us more consious about our health...

=)

AiLing said...

Hey Lynn Wei! :) How are you- long time no see!