Tuesday, October 23, 2007

'Kuih lapis'







The preparation


Have you ever tasted 'kuih lapis' before?


During the Raya holidays, my maid and I decided to make 'kuih lapis' because we were bored :lol

It seems complicated to make, but actually it's quite simple.


First, you take out two huge bowls, and fill them with boiled water.


Then, you add in some sugar and stir. Add in some coconut flavouring, and stir. And then, add in some flour, and stir. (for both bowls).


Then, add a little colouring/flavouring into both bowls.


(meanwhile, heat up the 'wok', and the water inside).

When it's well-mixed, pour in the mixture into a cake tin. Use separate ones for each flavour/colour.

Then comes the most time consuming part, the part which requires your uttermost patience.

Spread the first layer on top of the tin, with the tin on a metal holder placed above the boiling water in the wok.

Cover the wok, and wait for the layer to turn slightly solid, before spreading the second layer ( of a different colour).

Repeat this until you have enough layers.

Let it to cool down, before placing in the fridge.


It turned out fine in the end, except for the fact that I accidentally poured too much red flavouring in, giving the kuih a very red colour!

4 comments:

LX said...

Hey, I know that kuih! My grandmother and greatgrandmother used to make those kuih as a living. When I was young, I remember my grandparents told me the kuihs wants aircon too.. so have to put in air conditioned room. Hehe! Fond memories. I miss my grandma so much.

AiLing said...

Lynnx01: awwww....I know you miss her a lot *hugs

lynn-w said...

wow......hehe....i really dont have that much patience to bake something like kuih lapis..

for me, mix everything together and throw into the oven! aha..

i need to learn more of patience!

AiLing said...

lynnwei:- yeah, I do not have the patience either :p