Thursday, September 6, 2007

Busy, tired and worn out!!

So it's only 4 days into Semester 3, and I'm already feeling kindof tired and worn out. I've been catching very little sleep for the past few days.

Everyday, there is endless work to be done. Lecture notes which are already starting to pile up. PBLs- having enthusiastic groupmates who want to get it all done asap means having PBL session 2 every few days! And not forgetting the AIR topic- both CVS ( which we were supposed to get done during the holiday/rotation period, but because, you know......the deadline is 12th September)..... I know, I know, we are first-class procastinators!

And in just 3 weeks time, we'll have our CVS and respi assessment combined. I did study for CVS during the holidays, but I was studying very slowly as I was still not in the mood then. Oh man, I'm so gonna pay for this! :p

This weekend will be packed for me- helping out in the Charity Run Carnival and having to catch up with lecture notes, do AIR topic and of course PBL- all within one weekend.

Today's PBL session went on well :D I think I presented my part quite clearly. And my new PBL groupmates turned out to be quite a cooperative and enthusiastic group.

Today- we had a briefing about the brand new exam format, which we would be exposed to beginning the upcoming summative assessment.
They are introducing new type of questions:-
a) EMQ- extending matching questions- whereby a minimum of 10 choices will be given, and each answer can be selected either once, more than once or not at all
b) MEQ- modified essay questions- whereby a clinical scenario is given, and we have to answer questions about the case given. The catch is, the questions will be given in 3 parts- and once you've answered part A, you have to put it in an envelope. And when part B comes, and gives you a hint about the answer for part A, unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to go back to part A anymore.

I remember the incredulous laughter erupting from the back of the class when Dr.Thani showed us some samples of the questions this morning.

Why oh why does my batch always have to be the guinea pig batch? The very first batch to have EOS 2 instead of EOS1, the first batch to have 50 as a passing mark ( as if that helped) and now....the first batch to have this new exam format. And not forgetting......the first batch to have OSCE as an entirely separate assessment altogether.

Oh well, after a long break- what can I expect? It is going to be a hectic and crazy month for me!

4 comments:

edwina said...

one thign i learnt thru the past one yr in med school is to put ur trust in Him n let Him guide u step by step... =)

come on!!!! let's conquer RESPI n CVS n EOS 3 together!!!!

LX said...

And.... I'm sick. :(

AiLing said...

Ed Dwi:- yeah! Let's conquer CVS, Respi and EOS3!! Gambate!! Jia You!!

Lynnx01:- get better soon ya! Will see you soon, in LT2!

Anonymous said...

Haha, reading your blogs really takes me back to the good ol' days. My year was the first year of PBL in UWA, and also for the first time we had EMQs and MEQs. MEQs were quite fun, actually, and ours went for much longer than 3 pages. We would write our answer, then leave the page on the floor...next answer, stack it on the floor...you get the idea. As we progressed from one question to the next, you can hear people going, "Oh shit!" because sometimes the next question gives you a clue that you've got the last question wrong! Anyway, don't worry about being the guinea pig year - often makes things easier because they won't wanna fail too many people when they're trying something out, or else their new method would be deemed a total failure! Bibi