Friday, April 20, 2007

What a frustrating day!!

This is one day late, but yesterday can be considered as one of the most trying days for me.

Early yesterday morning, I was due for a community clinic visit to Jinjang with a few of my PBL groupmates. We were lucky because according to the Sisters in the CSU unit, Jinjang is the only clinic which is air-conditioned. (It is the newest and most advanced among all the clinics that our batch are to visit). But it was also the furthest. And yes, the clinic did indeed live up to the expectations that we had of it. It was fully air-conditioned, looked new and sophisticated and well-maintained and it had a spacy and comfortable environment.

The first half of my time there, I spent interviewing random patients and taking their personal details, medical history, family history, etc. Besides recording down patient histories for the purpose of writing our report which is due next week, we were also given a task of 'screening' patients for diabetes and hypertension. We were given a sheet of paper by the nurses which instructs us to record down the BMI, blood glucose levels , etc. of a seemingly healthy visitor. The conditions being.....this screened person is not supposed to be a current diabetic or hypertensive patient. We had trouble trying to find someone suited for this criteria, because almost all the people we interviewed were either diabetic, hypertensive, or both.
I had this technique of searching for English-speaking patients......approaching them with the opening question ' Do you speak English?' I know this might come off as a bit rude.....but you see English is the only language that I am really comfortable with. I can't speak fluent Malay......my Mandarin is only good enough for normal conversations, but not when more complicated or bombastic words come into play. This is going to be a serious problem when I go to Seremban for my clinical years, as apparently most of the patients there are non-English speakers. *notes to self to polish up her Malay (with the Malays) and her Mandarin speaking skills ( with housemates).
For the second half of the time, we took BP and blood glucose levels of some patients. The nurses chased us out halfway as there was a long line of patients waiting outside and we were holding up the queue.

At 11:30, sister Cheah arrived and briefed us about how we are supposed to go about writing our reports. And she told us about how last week one student lost her wallet while visiting one of the clinics. Wallet......suddenly I remembered. I dug into the pocket of my labcoat only to realize that my wallet was no longer there. I waited impatiently for Sister to finish her speech before darting to the toilet which I visited earlier on, only to find that it wasn't there as well. I traced back my steps to the Diabetic room where we all left our bags. It wasn't there. It was then that one of my groupmates told me that she actually saw my wallet lying on the floor beside my bag. But she just left it there because she didn't know whose wallet it was. It must have dropped out of my labcoat pocket when I was trying to take something out of my bag. But now it's gone! She should've alerted the nurses in the room when she saw it, and they would've kept it. But no. Sigh. It's ok, I don't blame her at all, it's my own fault for being so careless.
I don't know why I tend to be so careless at times. I always remind myself to be more careful when I lose/misplace something, but I never learn my lesson :(
Luckily, I kept my original IC and my ATM card somewhere else so there is nothing valuable inside my wallet at that time except money. Nevertheless, I left the clinic with a heavy heart, knowing that I would never see my wallet again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second 'test' of the day happened in the afternoon. I was tired and upset after returning from the clinic so I took a nap.

Now, we were supposed to collect our summative 2 result slips at 3:45 pm in LT2. I arrived a bit late.....thinking that we could collect the results anytime between 3:45 and 4pm, when our lectures start. But when I arrived.....the person with the result slip just left the Lecture Teatre.....with my result slip! I and another girl tried to follow her, but to no avail. Soon....a group of us were gathered outside the AAD, waiting for our result slips. We were told that the lady with the result slips was suddenly called in to a huge convocation ceremony which was held at the 4th floor at that time. We were told to collect our results after our lectures.
But it turned out that she went home before our lectures ended.

It was really a test of patience for me. Maybe God was trying to test my patience, teaching me to wait. So I had to wait for another night to know how badly I did in my assessment. I might get a B, C or even a D.....(an A is near impossible, I knew)....I didn't know then. All I could do was to wait. Well, I told myself that it was just another night, anyways I had been waiting for the results for 3 whole weeks already.

So I.....sang the night away! I and my cell group members went to Galaxy KTV in Sunway for a karoake session. It was a high class place! Buffet dinner was provided, complete with dessert and everything. We started off with Chinese songs which I couldn't sing, but for the second half of the session, we sang English songs.....which caused me to sing my heart out until my throat was dry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So today.....I finally received my Summative 2 result. Let's just say that had I been in a senior batch (M106 upwards), I would've failed the exam. But because I am in M206, and starting from my batch onwards, the passing mark is 50, I did pass. B-. Definitely not too good a grade, I know that I should've done better. I have to try my best to do much better in my End of Semester exam in May! But at least it wasn't a C ( I would've cried if it was). And I remember a lecturer telling us that just because our passing mark is 50, it doesn't mean that the standard would be lowered. Rather, they would mark our papers so much so that we still need to get at least 65% of the questions correct in order to obtain a 50%. Quite a large drop from my B+ which I got last semester. Sigh. At least I'm a consistent B student. Meh, whatever, lol.


p.s. For some reason, I can't seem to upload my new photos onto my friendster profile! It keeps on saying that the pic I try to upload is too large. Which is weird because before this, I never encountered this problem before. Someone help? ;)

6 comments:

LX said...

Ailing, I declined in my performance too. Was quite disappointed but I'm glad many of my true friends assured me. Even my parents are supportive. I'm glad no one is putting the pressure yet...

AiLing said...

Lynn Xuan- let's do well for our upcoming EOS!!

michelle said...

... you lost a wallet...

...i lost a phone AND a week-old canon camera.

oh well. :/

AiLing said...

Lol, oh well Michelle- we are in the same boat. *high fives*
But seriously though, we both should learn to be more careful in handling our own belongings!

Anonymous said...

ai ling, sorry to hear that u lost ur wallet.. hope everything is fine over there for u at this moment. really miss u. am busy with my exam preparation nowadays. btw, if ur photos cannot be upload because the file too big, it probably means that ur photo quality is too big (>1MB). In that case, try open ur photo with microsoft picture manager and click edit on the toolbar. from there then choose the compress function and then click compress for documents and save this pictures seperately..and Voila, u can most probably upload ur photos now. Hope this helps because i want to view ur photos. haha. ok, got to go. u take care ya and God bless! tata=)

AiLing said...

Gillian! :D

Great to see you here. Miss ya girl. Thanks for the friendster tips, will try it out. :)