Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Be the Salt!!

I'm actually really tired right now and dozed off a few times while reading my Bible- bad example I know, please don't follow me :P

But my fingers and brain were itching to get up a new blog today- last night I was too tired, earlier on tonight- the internet connection suddenly went haywire again.

Now, you must be wondering what is the title all about. Actually, it's taken from IMU's Christian Fellowship theme for this month. It tells us to be the salt in other people's lives wherever we go. 'Be the salt in other people's lives? Ailing, what on earth are you talking about?' you might be asking.

No....let me explain....

First.....what are the uses of salt? What do we normally use salt for in our daily lives?

Yes that's right....we use salt for.....

a) adding flavour to our food! So, by being the salt in the lives of others, we are adding flavour and taste into the lives of other people!

b) preserving our food - by sprinkling some salt on the lives of other people, we help preserve their spiritual lives, preserve their will to succeed by being an encouragement to them

c) making us thirsty- now, as medic students, we all know that intake of salt would increase our blood osmolarity. This would trigger the osmoreceptors in our hypothalamus, thus stimulating our thirst centre. When we become the salt for the people around us, we make them thirsty......for God!!

I can't think of the other 2 reasons right now......will add them in later.

Eunice then asked us to add some salt into the lives of the person sitting to the right of us by saying some encouraging things about that person.
Thank you, Eunice for giving me some encouraging words this afternoon. =) I really needed it, especially since for the past few days, something seems to be taunting me in my mind and reminding me repeatedly about all my mistakes and my flaws. (I don't know what it is- I don't even know if these thoughts are from God). It was a humbling experience for someone like me who is already suffering from a poor self-esteem in the first place.

Eunice- if you are reading this- just know that you are the salt in my life as well- it was a pleasure getting to know you from the beginning and having you as an Orientation Group mate. (Anus group still rocks, no doubt about it) And didn't you attend all the orientation activities as well, and gave it your all too? =)

Oh yeah.....I was worship leading the Cell Group today =) Not many people knew the first song I chose 'Be Still',. but that's ok. The other 3 songs 'Here I am to Worship', 'The Heart of Worship' and 'I Offer My Life' I think everyone knows how to sing them.

Back to the 'Salt' and 'Light' thing- lately, I have always vowed to be the salt and light in the lives of others. But I always end up reminding myself that I have to improve myself and my own ways first, before I can actually be the salt in someone else's life. It is hard sometimes to discard off your old ways, but it has to be done. I'll ask God to slowly mould me to be a much better person. I'll try to improve my flaws like showing my temper to others (only my mum and my housemates know about this one) . I'll try to be a more disciplined person - ok, this is hard, I am not a morning person, try to be cheerful and put on a pleasant disposition all the time. Only then can I be the salt and light for Jesus who can impact the lives of others.

Before I end my blog.....I would like to give a shoutout to all the people who have been the salt and light in my life so far.....

My mum- even though she is a non-Christian, but she never fails to inspire me. Since I was very little, she brought me up single-handedly, taking over the role of both a father and a mother to me. I sometimes label her as my 'Superwoman'. and I still admire her so much now.

My friends in Cardiff- had I not gone to Cardiff and met them, I might not even be a Christian right now. Each and every one of them- through their own special ways, had left a mark in my life for the 3 years I spent there. They welcomed me with such open arms the first time I set foot on Cardiff Chinese Christian Church. They were there to listen to my problems, and encourage me when things go wrong.
Lily, Dorothy, Gillian, Eileen, Genia, Eunice, Siew, Ivana, Lai Ye- miss you girls! You were always there for me, to hug me and to comfort me and you guys are such kind, gentle and caring people. Lil and Dot- thanks for all the times I could just walk across the road to your place and be rest assured that I would be welcome into your place with open arms anytime. Though you might have forgotten me by now- but just know that I will never forget you guys.
Brian, Darryl, Alan, Kiet, Tong Hong- thanks for being like big brothers to me. You guys showed me that men can actually have a kind and caring side to them as well.

Amy- you're the sweetest and cutest person ever-I haven't seen you and Jon for almost 2 years already. Send my regards to Jon too- I actually miss him too.

Renee- so sweet too. I still remember the time when you whispered to me that you were pregnant. And you confided in me and shared with me all the troubles and difficulties you had to go through during your entire pregnancy. And how we went through this entire journey together-right from the early months until Shane reached a year old! Send my love to Chung How and little Shane! Hope Chung How is still his usual cheerful self- may God bless your little family!
Ivy- just continue being your usually chatty and cheerful and bubbly self! You were also there to listen to me. One thing I like about you is your ability to be honest and open to others. Say hi to Kevin for me. ( Please ask him not to overwork himself ok?)
Amy March and Heather- you two never failed to inspire me as well. You never hesistated in lending me your notes- and offering my help and encouragement. And on top of your kindness, you ended up being such an excellent students in class as well.

All my friends/batchmates/ seniors in IMU- This is too many to name. But I have to thank all my batchmates, Christians and non-Christians alike- for being so nice to me- making me feel like I am welcome here. To my Christian batchmates, thank you for the cell group, for keeping my spiritual walk and faith alive. Eunice, Lynn Xuan, Edwina, Sarah Yuen, Weilin, Evelyn, Elizabeth, Yen BEE, Jeremys, Jimmy, to name a few.....To my seniors- so many- Shio Yen, Debbie, Jo Ann, Ivy, Sarah, Michelle, Naomi, David,....thanks also for making me feel so comfortable and at home here.
To my O.Os - Zi Yun, Sue Wen, Caryn and Kevin (you know I just can't miss you guys out)- you guys are the best O.Os ever!!

To my housemates Li Cin ( Rachel) and Fang Han:-
I know this is the umpteenth time I have mentioned this....but thank you SO much for always putting up with my unpredictable mood swings and temper. I can't imagine having any other housemates. Additional thanks to Rachel for being my guide and pulling me back to Jesus whenever I stray away.

To my cousin Bibiana Tie for being one of the closest cousins ever to me, for being like the elder sister I never had. For always showing concern for me, for sharing about Jesus to me, for taking the time to get to know my friends, for giving me advise about lots of things and last but not least- for being the only person I can discuss and share my interest on 'Survivor' with!

p.s. Today's CSU session just reminded me how much I still don't know. I couldn't even answer a single question being tossed to me- but that was because I was too tired to read up MacCloid's the night before.




2 comments:

LX said...

Yay! Be the garam. Hahah!! I'm so glad you went to CF camp. One thing I disappointed myself - not being able to spend time with you all. Was busy running here and there.

AiLing said...

Lynn Xuan,
I was so glad I went to the camp as well! I've to say that you guys really did a good job at organizing the camp! Let's run this race with perserverance!