Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Busy day....

Today has been one of the most tiring days for me....

For starters, at 10:30 am, I had Clinical Skills Unit (CSU) session. After the demonstration of how to insert urinary catheters for both male and female patients, and after watching the examination videos, we split into smaller groups for physical examination.

And guess which lecturer walked into the room we were waiting in? Yes....Dr. Htin Aung. Hah, just our luck!! For readers who aren't from IMU....he is one of the most strict lecturers in our university. But gotta give him credit....because we learn a lot from him. Although he can be very stern and tends to belittle us students, I guess that's his style of teaching. He himself came from a strict traditional background, so I guess he was molded to be that way, and he wants to mold us too.....so that we can become excellent doctors too in the future. (Yes, that's what he told us today- he somehow always takes the time to tell us that he wants us to become excellent doctors)

If we get him for the CSU sessions, we have to be prepared to be dismissed later than others....which is exactly what happened to my group. He started off talking about the theory first, before going through in detail the physical examination of a renal patient.

He scolded one of my groupmates for answering 'I'm not sure' instead admitting that they don't know the answer. I was so afraid that he would discover my uncut finger nails when we were performing the balloting of the kidneys....but luckily he didn't (or pretended not to) notice.

Due to our late dismissal from the CSU session.... we only had half and hour for lunch.


After which was our first PBL session for the renal system.

And guess who is our PBL facilitator for this system? Dr. FIA (I didn't put his full name because....well you'll see later)

Anyways.....he briefed us about how he would like the PBL sessions to be carried out , what he expects from them, and what PBL really meant. He wants us to use the whiteboard to present, which we haven't been doing all this while since this semester started. And he really made us crack our brains and use our critical thinking as well!

He asked us to introduce ourselves- tell where we're from and our hobbies. When I said that blogging is my hobby, he mentioned about wanting to check out my blog! (So now you know why I didn't write his full name?) ;)

I volunteered to be the group leader for this trigger, since I have yet to have my turn as the leader.

At the end of the session, we were encouraged to give some feedback in order to improve in subsequent sessions. Most of us commented that we were a bit stiff and awkward today, because we were still not used to our new faci and presentation mode.

Throw in two whole hours of Dr. Nilesh Kumar lectures in the evening, and a church service at night ( a sermon by Dr. Robb Thompson)- it has indeed been a busy and tiring day for me!)

No comments: