Sunday, May 4, 2008

Lessons in life

Wow, this blog is becoming like a weekly update....
Well, a lot of stuff happened the last few days, but I was too lazy to update.....

Anyways, this weekend was unexpectedly busy for me. I was initially expecting a rather relaxing weekend, just resting at home and studying.

But no....I ended up sleeping so little- and barely touching my notes!

First off, this weekend is a special weekend in City Harvest KL, the church I attend. Pastor Kong Hee, the founder of City Harvest Singapore (undeniably the largest church in this region) was here to preach a series of sermons. Friday night, 2 services on Saturday, and Sunday morning.
Each service, he would preach a different sermon, so some people actually attended all 4 services!
Church members were asked to invite some friends to come along.
Because he is such a well-known pastor and powerful preacher, many people from other churches also decided to come to listen to his sermons. Many of my batchmates who are from other churches actually turned up too!!

On Friday night, a group of us went. Even housemate Fang Han decided to follow us to church that night, which housemate Rachel and I were thankful for. Yen Bee, our good friend, decided to follow us as well. We went for dinner first nearby. But by the time we arrived, there was a LONG queue outside the church. We ended up sitting in the overflow room, which was unfortunate, because it just doesn't have the same atmosphere as compared to when you're in the actual hall itself. But it's ok- at least we still got to worship God and listen to the powerful sermon.
That night, Pastor Kong preached about learning to let go of shame. There are 3 types of shame- inherited shame (from Adam and Eve), imposed shame (from others) and actual shame (the consequences of your actions). I think this sermon was very relevant to me- since I'm an insecure person who often feels shame of herself. I always think that I'm small, insignificant, not good enough at anything.......so I need to let go of that.

Saturday morning, a group of us went to Sunway Pyramid for an iceskating session. This is the first time I've iceskated here in Malaysia (I've iceskated once in Cardiff). I was rather afraid at first, because I didn't want to fall, and my friends all warned me that it involves plenty of falling.
For the most part, I stayed close to the side rails, as I felt rather insecure. I shuffled literally around the sides of the skating rings several rounds.
Eventually, I learnt to balance myself and walk or rather shuffle around the ring.
But I never really learned the proper technique of skating!

I think this was due to the fact that I was so afraid of falling. My friends all said you have to fall in order to learn to skate, and the more times you fall, the faster you learn.
But I was too afraid to let go!! I kept on grabbing the side rails whenever I felt like I was about to fall- which wasn't often because my balance was ok. I was afraid of fracturing my ankles or knees or backbones if I fall. (My bones are more brittle than normal). So in the end, I didn't learn much in terms of proper skating.

This same theory applies to real life. Sometimes you fall, and then you pick yourself up again, and carry on a stronger person. This is a lifelong learning process.
But most people, including me, are afraid of falling, afraid of failure.

Anyways, after iceskating for about 4 hours, we went for lunch at the Ichiban Japanese restaurant.






This morning, I attended a second service in church. Today, I was lucky enough to get to sit in the packed hall. Many of my batchmates came as well. After the normal praise and worship, Sandy, one of the church choir members gave an amazing rendition of an Indonesian worship song. She wanted to use the gift of singing that God has given her to serve God. A baby dedication service followed, and four babies, including Pastor Kevin's son, were dedicated to God. The babies were being prayed for, that they may grow up in the house of God to be God fearing people and always on fire and having passion to serve God .
And the best thing is a friend/batchmate of mine who attended the service made the decision to accept Christ. You know who you are- if you're reading this- I just want to give you a hug and congratulate you on the most important decision you've made for your life :)

It's amazing how God works in our lives.


p.s. I'll add some photos to this entry after I've uploaded them onto Facebook.

No comments: