Sunday, May 18, 2008

PBPGINFWMY

Lost already?

If you want to know what this title really means- read on ;)

First let me tell you a simple story.

One day, a little girl was sitting in the backseat of a car. Her father was driving in front. The starting point , duration and destination of the journey- we do not need to know.
After some time, the little girl got bored and piped up ‘Dad, are we there yet?’
‘Not yet, dear’ he answered. The girl turned her attention back to the Barbie she was holding in her hands.
Some time later, she got bored again.
‘Dad, are we there yet?’
‘Not yet dear’ her dad answered again.
The girl decided to doze off while her father drove on.
When she woke up and realized that they have yet to reach their destination, she asked
‘Dad, are we there yet?’
‘Not yet dear. Be patient’ was the answer.

The moral of the story is……in life, sometimes we have to learn to be patient.

We live in a fast-paced world. The advance of technology- handphones, the internet, Ipods, Blackberrys....enable us to communicate quickly and efficiently with the rest of the world. Back home, the invention of washing machines and dishwashers enable us to complete our daily household chores much faster as well.

That’s why we, people living in the modern era, have become accustomed to getting things done fast. We want our meals prepared instantly (think instant noodles and fast-food restaurants and microwave food!). We want our bills payed instantly (think online transactions), we want everything done fast! Therefore, we become impatient and frustrated when we have to wait for something. Remember being frustrated when you have to queue up in the canteen or in the bank or when you get stuck in a traffic jam?

We also become impatient when things don’t go as planned in our lives. I tend to get impatient too. One of the questions I always pester my mum about is ‘When am I ever going to graduate? When am I ever going to grow independent and earn my own money?’ And of course…..’When am I ever going to fall in love?’

And she would always reply ‘ You will graduate one day. And you will go out to work and earn your money and fall in love one day’.

And I would always grumble. ‘That day never seems to come soon enough’.

One thing I realize is that I would never be satisfied with my life if I continue on waiting for ‘that day’ to come.
When I graduate and start working, I would be waiting for the day I get promoted to become a Medical Officer, and then a Consultant. I would be waiting impatiently for the day I get to open my own clinic.
And I would be waiting for my wedding day, for my children and then grandchildren to come along.
I would forever be waiting…..and would never lead a fulfilled life.

I know that God is teaching me to be patient and wait on Him. I do everything slow…..from my daily chores, to studying, to my motor skills. I develop very late as well…..both physically and mentally. Therefore, I predict that my Mr.Right is going to come along rather late in my life.

Right now, God is telling me to be patient. He is always saying to me ‘I will do great things through you. I will use you to be a blessing to all those around you...’

I have always wanted to be a blessing to others, and use the gifts that God has give me to serve Him. It’s always my hope that one day- I would be one of the most caring and compassionate doctors ever, because God has given me the ability to care and love others. And I do believe that there is a reason why God has given me the passion for writing and expressing my thoughts through my writing. Because He wants me to use it for His glory! So it’s my hope that one day, I would be able to bless and inspire many people through my writing.

But right now…..I am still merely a medical student. I am still on the way to becoming a doctor. There is still a long winding road ahead of me.

Daily, I ask God……’Am I there yet?’

And He would answer ‘No, dear, but you’ll get there one day’.

God is never in a hurry. He spends our entire lives building and moulding us to be like Him. But His timing is always right.

This brings us to ttitle of my entry today-
Please Be Patient- God Is Not Finished With Me Yet’.

No comments: