Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!!!

On Tuesday, I went for a clinic visit to Nilai. It was an eventful visit- which started off with the van breaking down halfway and the 6 of us stranded on the side of the road for at least half an hour. When we finally arrived at 9:15 am, Sister Mary, the nurse in charge of us, was already freaking out.

Anyways, we followed her to a home visit, for a postnatal followup. And we were given a tour of the clinic.


But the highlight of the clinic visit has to be that......we managed to witness a delivery!! Or at least us girls did.

Actually, patients are not allowed to deliver in a clinic, since there is no equipment provided to handle complications during delivery.

But I guess the mother was already too far along then to be rushed to the hospital?

Anyways, the head nurse, who didn't seem happy about happy to perform a delivery in the clinic at first- went ahead with it.

The mother, from what I gathered, hailed from India. Her husband is a local.


I couldn't see much because we were standing too far away, and there were many nurses surrounding the bed, bustling around to prepare for the delivery. The woman was calling out for her husband throughout her labor, until they finally let him in towards the end.


I was submitting to the fact that we would have to return back to campus without actually seeing the baby being delivered. But all of a sudden, there was a fresh bustle of activity around the room, and the nurses were all screaming to the mother to push. And finally, I saw one of the nurses carrying the newborn baby and placing it on the table, wiping it with a cloth.


It was a little girl. It cried after staying silent for a while. I recall the nurse asking the father.....'Do you want a boy or a girl?' He didn't really reply. And when she removed the cloth to reveal that it was a girl....'Oh it's a girl' he mentioned and just shrugged. I don't know whether it's due to him not minding it being a boy or girl, or him being disappointed.


This was the very first delivery I actually witnessed first hand in my life. I know there would be more to come, but I'm glad I got to witness something like this. It's not often that someone delivers in a government clinic!!


Btw, I learnt that the Maternal and Child health care policy in Malaysia is one of the best in the world, because they actually followup on the mother and Child's health after the delivery.

Don't know how true that is!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


How appropriate the above post is......since tomorrow is a very special day where we celebrate all the mothers around the world.


We do tend to take our mothers for granted most of the time. We expect them to do everything for us, and yet we do so little in return for them. And they never expect anything from us in return!


Remember when we were young, and our mothers cuddled, cradled and cooed and rocked us? And gave us unconditional love? Or how when we were older they chided and scolded us lovingly if we did something wrong? And for some of us, how they always took the effort and time to prepare our favourite dishes? How they taught us to distinguish from right and wrong? How they are always there for us when no one else is?


As for my mother, I always shamelessly tell people that she is the best mother in the world.

She is more like a sister to me. We share practically everything- I even tell her all my deepest secrets (which most people I know wouldn't feel comfortable enough to do). We do have our fair share of quarrels, but of course they don't last long.


I'll tell you why she is a superwoman and a supermother to me:

a) She brought me up single-handedly since young- she was a single mother for the most part. I remember how hard she had to struggle to make ends meet when I was young- first as a secretary, then opening up her own beauty centre. She was so busy then, I remember her even having no choice other than to lock me in the car as she went around handing out flyers on the street. All her success today, was solely from her own sweat and toil.


b) she loves me unconditionally - no matter what I do- whether I scream or argue with her, she would still love me the same the next moment


c) I can tell all my trouble and worries to her- she listens!! She is the only person I can complain to, nag to, and tell all that is bugging my mind- without worrying about being judged.

When I accepted Christ- she didn't even protest at all. I know she is still waiting patiently for the time when I tell her that I have a boyfriend ;)


d) She always puts me first- Like most mother's my mother will always put my needs first before her own. She told me herself, for her, I always come first, her and everyone else second.

She would sacrifice anything so that I am happy.


For that, I'm forever thankful to have a mother like her.


Today, my friends, let your mothers know how very special they are. Because only mothers would be willing to sacrifice anything they have for you. It's so true.....women are brought up to care for others, but often they neglect to care for themselves. When one of my batchmates shared how her mother almost commited suicide....it was then I realized how underappreciated mothers and women in general feel. People tend to forget the one true strength of women.......they are selfless people who always put others needs before their own.

Tell the special woman/women in your life today how much you love them and care for them!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When my sis and I were young, my mum would always pray with us before sleep and sing 'Away in a manger' in mandarin. Hehehe!

AiLing said...

Mothers are always the best :)