Monday, May 26, 2008

The secret to a fairytale romance...


Today…..in my City Harvest church, Pastor Kevin started preaching a new series of sermons entitled ‘Does Fairytale Relationship Truly Exist?’

The answer is of course no. Every relationship in real life is bound to encounter problems every now and then. But the good news is….we do have the power to overcome them!

Sometimes you come across couples who still seem so happy together even after all these years… And you wonder why is that so? And why many marriages today fall apart and end in divorce?

Now readers, let me let you into a secret about a truly loving relationship/marriage….

Submission. The wife has to learn to submit to her husband in everything. (Just as the church is to submit to Christ). After all, he is the head of the house, the leader of the family.
Well, it is stated in the Bible! Ephesians 5:22
Now, this is something that I am still struggling with. After all, my mum has always been the ‘head of the house’ (even with Uncle David). And this makes me think that it doesn’t have to be the man to lead the household. After all, who would want to submit to a irresponsible, alcoholic, abusive husband?

I still have a lot to learn in this matter, but I’ll learn eventually. I don’t know, I just have trouble accepting the fact that men are superior to women. I know though that apostle Paul didn't mean that women are inferior to men when he wrote this letter.
Maybe one day I’ll learn to submit to a man, especially if he is a gentleman. After all, I am the submissive type, who has no problem in following orders and submitting to authority.
Anyways, there can only be one head, or else it’d be a monster! (There cannot be more than one leader, or else trouble looms ahead).

I do know that men have egos, and that’s why we have to submit to them.

But right now, I’m still struggling with this fact.

p.s. Of course, if we read on the passage, the bible also states that husbands should love their wives as they love themselves….

3 comments:

Zzzyun said...

i think most of us know that fairytale romances are overated.. but we still secretly hope for them.

but!

i really cant agree that a woman submitting to a man's whims and fancies means that a relationship will go smoothly. i think the most important thing is to talk things over.. and find some way to come an agreement.

Communication!!

it might be ok to let the other person win sometimes... but it shld be a two way thing!! not always the women letting the men just bcs of a thing call ego. aikz.

i think in this modern day world, there really is no such thing as men are more superior than women. they only appear so bcs we have been suppressed for so long. give us all the advantages and lets see what we can do! hehe..

women will take over the world!

ps: ok i'm not saying that women dont need men. but i think that men and women shld both be equals that respect each other. =)

AiLing said...

Yeah....personally, I do feel that men and women should be treated as equals.
And I'm pleased to say that today, in most parts of the world, women now enjoy as much freedom as men do.

I think submission here means letting the men be the head of the household, and making the ultimate family decisions...

I really hope I'm not putting out the wrong message here....I think it's just hard to me to accept this fact that the woman is the one who should submit, mainly due to my background.

Zzzyun said...

hmm.. but i still think tat for a relationship to work, neither one party needs to be in "submission".

it is possible to make decisions and work things out by discussing with each other..

hence the concept of gender equality.

just my 2 cents worth. =)