Friday, May 4, 2007

Fruits of the Spirit


Today in CF, dear Angelene (M106) lead us in a discussion about the fruits of the Spirit. ( I forgot exactly what was the title of the activity, Lynn Xuan, correct me if I am wrong.)
We learnt that Red Apples represent Love, oranges represent joy, mangoes represent peace, grapes represent patience, the dragonfruit represents kindness, bananas represent goodness and the potato represents faithfulness. And last but not least, the durian represents self-control, because when you are sick, you've to learn to control and refrain yourself from eating durians. According to Angie ;)

Two fruits that I would really want to have in me is Love and Joy. I want to be able to show God's love to all the people around me- to my family and friends, to everyone who meets me.
I also want to have this underlying Joy in my heart. Joy is different from happiness. Whilst happiness is a superficial feeling and can come and go depending on circumstances, Joy on the other hand is something we feel deep down inside of us- irrespective of circumstances. We can feel joyful deep down in our hearts, even through tough times, because it's the Joy of the Lord which cannot be taken away from us.

But I've to admit that I still don't really have this pure Joy in my heart that some Christians have. I tend to complain and get upset about the smallest things. Today I realized that instead of just moaning over tiny upsets and if things don't go my way- I should instead learn to be thankful for everything that I have in my life right now.
Instead of complaining about an irresponsible father who had nothing to do with my life, I should instead be thankful for such a caring and loving mother who is always there for me to support me no matter what circumstances. I should be thankful that because of my name- I had the opportunity to be sponsored to study overseas, an opportunity which some of you are still impatiently waiting for. ( If I have a Chinese name, I don't think I would even have a chance to be sponsored to go overseas).
And be thankful for the fact that due to my mum's hard work and perseverance all these years, I never had to worry about money.
Yeah- and be thankful for great housemates and friends over here.
And a great 'family', no matter how untraditional my family may seem. Today I arrived back in Kuching and uncle David and Tze Chien right away drove me to eat my favourite local dish - the Kolo' Mee ( a Kuching specialty). (Anyone from Penang- haha I know there are at least a couple of readers from there- one day I should throw a challenge to you- Penang food vs Sarawak food! ;) )

I should learn to be thankful for all the blessings bestowed upon me so far in my life.

p.s. Islam test today went ok, that's because I actually stayed up very late to study for it last night.

p.p.s I finally got accepted by 'The Star' newspaper to do my electives in the Kuching branch! I am so relieved. For the past few days, I actually thought that they wouldn't accept me and I would have to change my choice of elective. Journalism, here I come, even if only for a couple of weeks!
Oh- did I mention that according to the chief Human Resources director, I am the very first medical student who has worked in 'The Star' newspaper?

p.p.p.s Rotation timetable came out. I am in Group A, meaning that I would be the very first group to be going to KKB! The problem is this.... after my convocation ceremony in Cardiff in July, I had scheduled my ticket to return back to Malaysia only on 25th July. Rotations start on 23rd July. Uh oh. And if I were to change my tickets, I would have to buy a new ticket altogether. *scratches head*

p.p.p.p.s I might actually upload some photos of my home in Kuching the next few days or so, if I feel like it, so stay tuned.

p.p.p.p.p.s Do try out my 'True Friend Test' at the side bar ok? ;)

And finally- arrrrggghhhh.......I HAVE TO STUDY!!!!!!!

8 comments:

LX said...

There's soursop.. but I cannot remember what is it now... aiks!

AiLing said...

*checks list

Soursop represents gentleness. :yup

Anonymous said...

it's for GENTLENESS!!! i wanted to post a comment d other day but coudlnt... stupod internet connection... isk... y la lynn xuan go steal my place... hehhehe... jk jk... :p jus pre-exam stress... chillign out now n decided to check ur blog... hahahha... i saw u mention sarawak laksa!!!! yer... i'm so jealous i dun gt to eat it!!! grrr... y turn will come soon!!!! muahahhaha...

LX said...

Hahaha.. yes actually Ed told me you forgot the soursop. Then I just nicely came here and mention it.. hahaha.. confirm stealer. :p

Sookie said...

You're coming for convo in July?!
Nvr did get an update frm u abt this matter...and abt Uncle David! I gather he's alright now...?

Oh, wow, I'm so excited for you about your electives *beams*

Try doing this...Sunday worship...for an entire song, just recollect all the blessings in your life, including nature and 'all created things' :)

I bet you once you start, you won't be able to stop running down items in your Things-to-be-thankful-for List.

Anonymous said...

hi my name is rabbiyyah and I was wondering if I could use

your picture for my backgroud because I am doing a project for my

ict techer and it would be great if I could use your photo

please email me back today if possible

thank you rabbiyyah

Anonymous said...

heay missy!
i like the picture you have of the fruits and berries.
will you be so kind as to give me permission to use the picture on my blogshop selling clothes? (:

by the way, i'm danielle. (:

Anonymous said...

Hi I Am A Student From Ashburton And I Was wondering If I Could Hane Permision To Use One Of Your Pictures.