Friday, April 4, 2008

Semester 4....

So one week of lectures have passed.

After a long holiday (slightly more than a month), I'm now back in IMU, and back to face the daily grind of a medical student's life.

I am now a Semester 4 student. Semester 4 is....they say....a 'honeymoon' semester, as there is no big exam this semester. However, some seniors warned me to not slack too much and start studying for the End of Semester 5 exams this semester. Because EOS 5 will cover 10 systems- all that we learnt from sem 1 onwards.

Incidentally, the next two systems that I would be studying- Endocrine and Reproductive system- are the two that I am most interested in. So hopefully, fingers crossed, I would do much better this semester compared to the previous semester.

Lectures so far have been- ok- rather boring.....except for the Malaysian Studies lectures (more on that later). I find myself dozing off in lectures almost everyday now. :( My study mood is back though :)

At first I wasn't pleased that I had to take Malaysian studies. I certainly didn't see the whole point of medical students studying about Malaysian culture and history. But the lecturer- oh gosh- I forgot her name- was very funny. From her croaky voice during the beginning of the first lecture, to her bold criticisms of all the various races.....she is certainly different from the other lecturers! I mean- is there any other lecturer who would proclaim out loud in front of the class that Malays are slow, and have no freedom of religion, that Chinese are loud, rude and only have money in their minds?

As for PBL- my new PBL group is.....fine....my new PBL faci....Dr. Juriah is rather nice. Initially, I thought that she was the serious type. But it turned out that she loved to joke and to tease us and even to sidetrack from the discussion a little.

And last but not least.....outside activities....

I was flooded with information about the latest news and events from the moment I stepped foot onto the uni grounds. It seemed like so much had occurred while I was back in Kuching for my holidays.
I just learnt on Monday about the IMU Idol competition. To be honest, I'd rather watch American Idol on TV, thank you :p However, I am fully supporting my batchmates!! Go WeiLin, Cheng Yee and Ming Hui!! You guys can do it!!

Then, the Christian Fellowship camp....which would be held the following weekend. I have registered and paid the money already. This time around...I would be missing several seniors whom I gotten rather close to, such as EeLeen, Sarah, Ivy and Joanne. But many of my batchmates and juniors whom I know are going. And my housemate Rachel is going too :) The theme is.....reconnecting with God and also reestablishing relationships with your family, friends and people around you.

And......guess what.....I am going to the IMU Ball!! I wouldn't go into detail about the story of how my housemates and their group of friends initially wanted to go too- and we had booked a table for ourselves. But it turned out that there was only 5 of us, and we had to find another 5 people to join our table. They became discouraged- or rather just lazy to go.
But I myself still really wanted to go, because this would be my chance of a lifetime to go to a prom. Plus, I already have a dress ready ( although I didn't exactly buy it in preparation for the Ball). ;)

So yep, I booked myself a seat on another table (thanks Evelyn!), and transport ( thanks Ho Wai! ;) and yep, hopefully I'm on my way to this prestigious event.

I am just a normal girl who wants to attend proms and dress up nicely like any other girl!


p.s. Yep, this semester is my last chance of participating in all these activities. Next semester, clinical school and working life would be fully packed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah..relax sem, i see...i see! i like endocrine too! it's really interesting how a small amount of substance can influence the whole body!

AiLing said...

Well, not totally relaxing....you have to do your share of studying as well this sem- if you do not believe in last minute studying! ;)

Anyways, yeah- I have always been intrigued about the role and influence of hormones on our body.

Zzzyun said...

haha yeap they like to say sem4 is a honeymoon semester but dont get ur feet down.

endo is rather boring but get this: repro and renal is difficult! so better to work hard than regret later..

btw im going to the ball too!! so see you there! dont get to see u around alot, wonder why...

AiLing said...

Hey there!!
Yep- haven't seen you around since I came back last week :p
Although I did see Sue Wen with Li Yann and Pui Fun in d canteen once.
Thanks for all the advice all this while- it's always nice having seniors to give us advice!
Half a year later, I wouldn't have any more seniors to turn to :(