Monday, November 12, 2007

My Mock OSCE

Yep, the dreaded OSCE which I had been talking/ranting about for the past couple of weeks is over.

After many practice sessions, and many days worrying about it- it's finally over.

We were tested on 4 stations:- 2 physical examination ones, and 2 history taking.

I did quite well in the Cervical lymph node palpation station. It certainly did help that Dr. Daw Khin Win was there. She was very reassuring, nodding and acknowledging my every step. I couldn't really answer the questions she asked about TB though. She said ' You did quite well' and it boosted my confidence.

Behavourial Science station was- let's just say a bit of disorientation on my part. For one, my dumb brain didn't think of holding the tiny slip in my hand upon walking in, and so I had to waste time (one minute according to Dr. Ranjit) searching for the damn thing in my pocket. See the stupid things I do?
Another minute taken to settle down- according to Dr. Ranjit again. The patient was rather cooperative though, in that once I apologized for the delays and troubles she went through, she calmed down almost immediately. I did manage to take an entire fever history from her. But when I reached the Q&A station- there were mostly questions on lymph node enlargement. For a certain period of time, I almost thought that I was in the wrong room/ saw the wrong set of equestions. I think it's because I forgot/didn't have time to ask her about any other symptoms bothering her besides the fever.

Next- examine the patient with right pleural effusion. Dr. Htin Aung just had to be the examiner. Gah. I knew the sequence, I knew the steps. So I was doing the steps methodically and hopefully confidently. He asked me a question about tracheal deviation which I wasn't able to answer. In the end, I didn't finish auscultation! Dr. Htin Aung was looking at me and finally said ' Do you know that the time is up already?' Well, at least he didn't yell. I have to practise on time management. I didn't even start with general examination - which some people did. And yet I still couldn't finish.

The history taking station was ok. No examiner inside...just patient alone. Patient seems a bit irritated at times. But I managed to finish asking all the components, which I never managed to do during the normal CSU sessions.

So yeah....that's it about the mock OSCE. :) I have to do well for the real OSCE exams! I need more practise than others, since I tend to be slower than other people and have weaker hand and practical skills.

eta: I know my blog has been rather pictureless lately.....so my next blog post will definitely consist of pics, even if random ones :p

6 comments:

Zzzyun said...

hey.. glad tat u did okay. u'll surely do better when it comes to the real osce! =)

so what were the Qs asked abt TB? and what was the Q abt tracheal deviation abt?

maybe i can help? hehe.. or u cud check books urself i guess =P

anyway it wasnt tat bad after all rite? ^^

Anonymous said...

wow......as i was reading ur post, i can feel the excitement and 'nervousness' in myself if i were in your shoes...ekeke..

i believe u did well!!

gambate ^^

AiLing said...

zzzyun:- Hey, thanks ever so much for helping me out that day...and offering me plenty of support for the mock OSCE. Really appreciate it! :D
Well, the TB question was about the lymph node findings in the case of TB....I only remember 'rubbery'. The tracheal question:- I forgot ...about the exact location of the trachea, I think.

AiLing said...

lynnwei:- yeah, I was feeling rather nervous, as this was my very first time. Thankfully it's over though, at least for now.
Have you ever done osce before?

lynn-w said...

hey! it's not exactly OSCE but something similar....and it's just with one patient where we need to get the history..like case history taking and then give primary diagnosis...and the doc will come and ask us to do any examination on the patiet - auscultation of heart and see got pathology, or palpation of liver, percussion...etc...so, tat was scary!
but it's very interesting when sometimes we can hear pathological sounds! aha..like rales in lungs and murmurs in heart!

AiLing said...

lynnwei:- hey, I guess as medical students, we all have to go through this at one point or another ;)