Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Eating disorders




Anorexia. Obesity. Two conditions that are the exact opposite- but arise from the same thing- food (too much or the lack of).

Anorexia nervosa- the eating disorder whereby the person still thinks they are fat, when they are most definitely not.

This disorder affects mostly young females who think that it's fashionable for women to be as skinny as possible.


At the other end of the scale, we have obesity, when your body stores too much fat, and this can potentially lead to health problems such as hypertension, heart diseases, diabetes, etc.


It's important to strike a balance in our diet(eat less fatty food, more vegs, less calorie intake) and in our lifestyles (more exercise!) , so that we don't end up in either extreme.


And you know what people with these 2 eating disorders have in common? Insecurity about themselves and low self-esteem.
It's a cruel world out there, you've got to admit. You get judged every single minute for everything that you do.
Sometimes I do get weary of having to put on this facade for everyone to see, just so that everyone would like me. For any small mistake that I make, I know that someone wouldn't be happy with me and will like me less. Does everyone feel this way?


5 comments:

LX said...

During the lecture, at the leptin slides, I thought I have lectin resistance or lectin receptors deficiency. Then when reaching the end, I realised that I'm actually in the hormonal imbalance category. It's a viscious cycle. Aiyoyo

AiLing said...

Typical medical student- applying what you've learnt for the day to your life.....hehe

AiLing said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

kekekeke...intersting!

tho i have excessive 'fats'...aha,i dont think i'm overweight, so, stil ok! kekekekke

AiLing said...

Lynnwei:- 'excessive fats?' hmmm.....it's good for every one of us to try to keep our body fit though.