Monday, March 3, 2008

Growing up....

I am not going to reveal my age here, but those who know me know that I look much younger than my age. Well, you might say ' It's that great? I want to be like that too. You'll look 30 when you're 50!'

I've to admit that I actually have a problem with this fact. Everytime someone whom I meet for the first time asks me how old am I, I tend to hesistate to answer the question. Sometimes I beat around the bushes, at other times, I answer 16, which I'm obviously not, if I'm a university student.

Well at times, this does have it's own advantage- e.g. when I can get coach and train tickets for half price whenever I go travelling.But for the most part, I don't think looking so young for my age has it's advantages.

Well, we've to learn to accept the things that we can't change, have the courage to change the things we can, and have the wisdom to discern between the two, right?

Let's move on to the things that I can change then. My personality? The fact that I'm still so dependent on my mum and Uncle David? They keep on saying that I'll grow more independent when I go out to work next time. Yeah, it's true in some ways. I'll be more financially independent then. But...arrghh....I don't know. I just feel that I've been too spoilt all this while.

Maybe it's my fault....that I never proved to my mother than I can really take care of myself. Or maybe it's her fault, she is reluctant to let go of me, and never thought me any life skills when I was young? OR maybe it's both of our faults. Or maybe....it's due to my Turner's Syndrome?

Will I grow up one day? Maybe I'll grow up to be a strong, independent woman when I enter the working world and see the real world? Maybe I'll finally detach myself from my parents when I get myself a boyfriend in the future? I don't know. Life is full of uncertainties, we just have to face each day and each phase of our lives as it comes.

4 comments:

Zzzyun said...

well, you are not the only with this problem.

i get ppl telling me im super young all the time!! and i dont like it and get irritated by it.. but then my aunts wud say: What's wrong? isn't it good to look younger than ur age?

but i think, hey if ppl think u are 16 yrs old when u are already a uni student, wth do u think?? aikz..

oh well, just gotta go with the flow. since we cant change it, i guess it's still better than looking older than ur age lo.. and it might come in handy when we are older! hehe.. =P

AiLing said...

Heyo...yay, at least someone understands what I mean! ;)
Yep, it might come in handy at a later age, but not this stage of my life. But oh well, I'll just accept the fact and move on with my life! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I feel that my mum still treats me as a kid... she does not let me drive to pick my sis up from school because it would be jammed-pack. I gotta remind her I got my driving license half a decade ago ler..

AiLing said...

My mum (or rather, Uncle David) doesn't let me drive to the clinic (for electives) myself. Their excuse...no parking space over there. Heh.

;)