Friday, April 17, 2009

One more week....

One more week of surgery to go! Just handed in 3 case summaries and 1 case report today. Next week is my end of posting exam (on Thursday). My first clinical school exam! Nervous. I am going to get Dr. IA as my examiner, he seems ok so far, had presented a case to him on Wednesday. Hopefully it would go on smoothly.

This week, I discovered that:
a) I still cannot feel for invisible veins when performing venepuncture
b) I still cannot side park, in fact, I am horrible in side parking and reversing.

The only unusal thing that happened this week.....I clerked one patient who is an ex-IVDU(intravenous drug user) and a patient who is a prisoner. With handcuffs on and all.
Well, learning not to be judgemental is also part of our training right?

4 comments:

Zzzyun said...

well the trick is that u do not use ur eyes when u are feeling for veins. just use ur finger pulp to feel.. but practice makes perfect (not that im that good myself :P)

and u can called ex-drug addict as IVDU (intravenous drug user). there! doesnt it sound better? ^^

AiLing said...

Hey Zzzyun,
How are you doing in Perth? Fine I hope :)
I still have a lot to learn- and yes, practice makes perfect!

And yeah, IVDU is the term...I remember seeing it somewhere but it escaped my mind! Thanks. :)

Zzzyun said...

hey im doing not too bad here, finally adapting more i wud say. im currently in surgery now.. which posting are u in again?

AiLing said...

I'm entering the final week of Surgery posting! After that Internal Medicine posting.
How are you finding Surgery? Fun eh? ;) Anyways, glad that you're doing well over there :)