Friday, July 4, 2008

God's plan

During my Literature selectives, the statement about God's plan keeps on popping up somehow.

On Tuesday, when the guest speaker ( I forgot his name) was discussing with us about the text 'Ibrahim Something', he brought up the question of free will vs destiny. How much of where we are today and what we have or will achieve in the future is due to our destiny? And how much of it is actually due to our own sweat and toil?

And tonight, when I watched 'I am Legend' (which we are going to discuss in class next Monday) there was one scene where the woman Anna mentioned....'This is God's plan for me to be here' or something along that line. Will Smith's character disagreed with her.

For me personally, I think that where I am today ( as a medical student and future doctor) is a combination of both free will and destiny. I had to work hard and toil all the way to get to where I am now. Had I just been lepaking around in video arcades when I was younger, instead of being the obedient daughter who stays at home to study every day, I would end up in a totally different place right now.

However, where I am now is also due to destiny.

I, for one, do believe that God has a sovereign plan for each of us. He has carefully crafted us in our mother's womb, and since then ,he has already had every step of our lives planned out for us. It is God's plan for me to become a doctor. If not, I wouldn't have been accepted into IMU. I remember how I took the telephone interview from the Dean very lightly, thinking that it was just for fun and I wouldn't be coming here anyway.

But I learnt that God has other plans, and you don't argue or wrestle when it comes to God.

Sometimes, you can plan out every single detail of your future for all you want- from the university you want to study in, the degree you want to obtain, the person you want to marry, how many children you want.....but in the end, not everything goes according to plan.

That's why for me at least, it's important to surrender to God, because He knows best.

I do not mean that we leave everything to God and just sit back and relax. No. We still have to strive hard to achieve success in life.

Take for example, exams. We study very hard and do all we can to achieve excellent results. But at the end of the day, after trying our very best, we lift it all up to God and let Him do the rest =)
So as a conclusion, God has a plan for each and every one of us....but it's up to us to decide how we are going to get there.

No comments: