Monday, February 25, 2008

Results....results....

Results. Just the mere mention of the word would send your heart into tachycardia. It could be anything...from exam results, to clinical test results, to pregnancy test results, to HIV test results. But results would always make you feel nervous as you wait for them to be released.

Last Wednesday, I had not one, but two results released at the same time. My End of Semester 3 exam results and also my T4 level test results.
You see, earlier on in the morning, I want for an annual checkup and had my blood tested for T4 (thyroxine) levels. I was to call up SJMC at 3pm for the results.

Of course for me, my End of semester exam results was much more important. I didn't sleep well the night before, I didn't really have the appetite for lunch. All I wanted to do was to get to uni to collect my result slip ASAP. The wait for 3pm was like torture, every second seemed like eternity.

Anyways, finally 3pm arrived, and I trudged slowly to IMU to collect my result slip. ( I so happened to be in KL for the day, just returned from Bali the day before and was going back to Kuching the following day). My legs were feeling wobbly and I felt drained of all my energy.
I met up with batchmates who were also on their way to collect their results....they seemed surprisingly calm. The instant I tore open the envelope and set eyes on my grades, my heart sank. Not desirable grades, that's all I can say. But the most important part of the result slip was at the bottom....'Congratulations, you've passed the End of Semester 3 theory and OSCE components. You're now eligible to proceed onto Semester 4. ' That was all I needed to know.
Never mind the less than impressive results that I got.

Well, I learned that only 6 people failed the exam. Initially, I admit that I had this selfish thought that 'Well, everyone passed. So what is so special about me passing my exam? What is there to be proud about?' But then, I have to keep in mind that....God's grace is sufficient for us to get through all the hurdles in life. I should be grateful that at least I passed and I can fully enjoy my holidays and do my elective ( in a clinic).

Well, as for the 2nd result....I actually forgot about it in all the excitement of the day...and ended up calling the hospital the following day. And.... I was shocked to learn that my thyroxine levels were in a disarray. Hormone imbalance. I haven't been taking the correct dosage of my medication ( 1 tablet the first day and 2 tablets the next) and as a result..... I am now hypothyroid, which explains my substantial weight gain lately.

I've to hit the gym daily from now on, and avoid fatty meals, and take more veges and fruits. No more chocolate or icecream or the like. Argh....what choice do I have? I really admire those people who have extremely high metabolic rates and just simply can't get fat no matter how much they eat.

2 comments:

Zzzyun said...

well still gonna say congrats tat u passed!

abt ur weight gain, i gained a lot of weight too!!! =(((((

so recently i had started going to the gym and no more late nite mamak sessions for me haha..

so maybe we shld go to the uni's gym together too.. i normally go quite late at nite with my frenz lah..

ps: i also envy those tat can eat as much as they want but nvm get fat ppl!!!

AiLing said...

Yup, I have resolved to visit the gym daily as well, and no more fatty foods for me!