Friday, November 24, 2006

Behavioural Sciences Week Part Deux

So the Behavioural Science Week is officially over - much to the relief of most of my coursemates ( including my housemates). I, on the contrary, wish that it didn't end that fast, simply because I find it not as demanding compared to other weeks. What we learn in Behavioural Science week is mostly to do with logic and common sense. Well, we actually still have to study for the lectures, but I notice that everyone seems to be somewhat more concerned about the hard sciences part of medicine. People still carry the Marieb book around even though it is not one of the recommended books for this 2 weeks.
People are already stressing out about the upcoming summative assessment at the end of next month even though it is only an assessment. Everywhere I go, I see people study and study, and I've to admit that at times it stresses me out too. It makes me feel like I'm one of the laziest people in my class even though I try to stay up at night.
Back to the Behavioural Science Week, my patient interview was held yesterday. As I mentioned previously, it is also being assessed and contributes 2% of our total grades. I think mine went on ok. I was rather nervous at first, and was in a disarray. However, I went in and just strutted my stuff, doing the necessary introduction ( asking for name, age, occupation, etc.) and starting up a bit of a casual chat before I proceeded on to the actual part, which was to ask the patient about his problem. (It was a male patient btw). He was suffering from knee pain. I asked all the necessary questions like how long had it been going on for, have you done anything about it, what do you think might have caused it, can you describe the pain for me, does it cause you any problems, do you have any worries, etc. I am grateful that I got Paul Jambu as the assessing lecturer. He is one of the more lenient ones in marking among the 6 Behavioural Science lecturers.
Hera Lukman on the other hand, one of my housemates got her as the assessing lecturer, and apparently she is very strict in marking. Unlike the other lecturers, she looks at whether the student is successful in building rapport with the patient, and not just whether the student has managed to ask all the necessary questions.
My groupmates, who as I mentioned earlier are all Malays, are great people. Now, I'm glad that I got put into the same group as them. Maybe it's God's way of telling me that I need to open myself up more to these people as well.
Yeah, I guess that sort of wraps up my Behavioural Sciences week report- it's back to normal again next week, and back to the daily grind of reading lecture notes AND the Marieb book and looking at everyone around me working like mad and feeling lazy and inadequate again.

No comments: